Directions to Lake Shore
Dress Code Policy
Cell Phone Policy
Golf Course Information
Golf Course Photo Gallery
Lake Shore History
History of Lake Shore
In 1908, with the idea of building a private country club, several families living in Glencoe, Highland Park and Chicago joined and purchased land in the Northeast corner of Glencoe. The club is located approximately 25 miles North of the city of Chicago and is situated on approximately 127 acres with the Main Clubhouse located on the shoreline of Lake Michigan.
At that time, this land was known as Old Beck Farm and the crossing that is now Braeside Station was Beck’s Crossing. In 1910, Howard Van Doren Shaw, one of the area’s premiere architects, built the Club House which remains today just as it did then, overlooking a beautiful expanse of lawn to the Lake.
In 1910, the lawn was used as a baseball diamond and the tennis courts were located just east from the Clubhouse extending to the Lake Bluff. Although there was land purchased west of Sheridan Road, there was not enough to build an eighteen-hole golf course, so Lake Shore leased the land immediately south and west from the Brand family. This lease remained in effect until the mid-sixties when the Membership purchased the land from the Brands.
The Club was formed to support and maintain a country club environment that includes dining, golf, tennis, paddle tennis, swimming and other related social and athletic activities. The club is truly family-oriented.
The Main Clubhouse building is approximately 125,000 square feet on two levels. Member dining areas include formal and informal dining rooms, an outdoor terrace and a Living Room that can accommodate 150. During 1986 the Club underwent the process of renovating all the dining areas and cocktail lounge. The employee quarters are also a part of the Main Clubhouse and are primarily used to provide room and board for the seasonal employees recruited from colleges and other schools in the Midwest. In addition, the Main Clubhouse operates guestrooms from Memorial Day through Labor Day for the convenience of Members and their Guests.
The swimming pool complex includes a full regulation-size pool, children's pool, and a cabana area offering a variety of fast food grill items and an assortment of fountain drinks.
Lake Shore has a very active summer tennis program with 9 tennis courts. Seven clay courts offer a spectacular view of Lake Michigan, and two additional hard courts, along with a recent addition of a paddle tennis facility with four courts, are located West of Sheridan Road adjacent to our golf driving range. The tennis facility has its own locker room area and a full service pro shop.
The 18 – hole golf course is separated from the Main Clubhouse Building by Sheridan Road and accommodates approximately 10,000 rounds of golf annually. It is noted for its difficult and lengthy par 4’s and has a series of ravines that need to be negotiated on several holes. An experienced golf staff provides a full program of golf activities and includes a driving range, putting greens and a separate chipping practice area. A new Pro Shop & Caddy/Cart facility was built in 1999. Also, due to a major fire a new separate golf facility was built in 1996.
To this day Lake Shore Country Club, with its original family members and their descendents, is maintained in the same spirit that was conceived by its founders over one hundred years ago.
to view photos from the past.
1255 Sheridan Road | Glencoe, IL 60022 | p: 847.835.3000 f: 847.835.1627
Copyright ©2012Lake Shore Country Club. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Jonas Club Software